Monday, March 10, 2008

ahh nostalgia...i'm all nostalgic for you

My time in Minnesota is almost through and here are some things I'll miss:

1. Tuning the radio dial to 89 7 on Thursday nights for a most magical musical hour between 6 and 7 with Shelly and Tim.
2. The 3 hour block of World Cafe that preceeds Shelly and Tim on Thursday and fills the afternoons the rest of the weekdays.
3. Living 2 minutes away from a pretty decent library that's always stocked because the students do their research online.
4. Returning home to a family I haven't seen in 4 to 5 months.
5a. The wine bar where the old and fairly harmless looking but obviously shitfaced guy started braiding my hair with his dirty fingers and offered to buy me a drink.
5b. Accepting drinks from old and fairly harmless looking but obviously shitfaced guys at the wine bar because look, they're Minnesotans. Is there really any reason to worry?
6. Finding all the things that make Iowa better than Minnesota.
7. My students. My freaking a w e s o m e students. The bright, smiling faces, the cooperation when they sense their teacher has only gotten 3 hours of sleep and is still trying to make English interesting and challenging, even the OCCASIONAL eye rolls (especially the ones they think I don't see). All of it.
8. Delicious recipes concocted from desperation, an empty pantry and limited appliances/utensils.
9. The $2 movie theater downtown.
10. The trees.
11. The Grass.
12. 1st Ave in Minneapolis for their sweet concerts and crazy pre-show vintage kiddie commercial projections.
13. Conversations in the TA office. Notably those that center around the Russian Civil War. Namely the one C and I had for a solid forty-five minutes (and how quickly that time sped by) after which he handed me two 300+ page books on the subject for nothing more than my personal interest. Books he happened to have in his desk. Lit TA's are a trip.

No comments: