Saturday, February 9, 2008

political rehab (warning: preachy language)

I've had an awakening and the man in the glowing robes is Ron Paul. Ron effing-republican-from-texas Paul & me: republicans-are-the-bane-of-the-earth. I finally got over my team mentality enough to realize that he is the ONLY real representation of true change in the field of candidates, and it's unfortunate that "change" has become such a buzzword because it's what this country desperately needs but is being assigned haphazardly and re-defined to fit every candidate's campaign. Ron Paul believes in the Constitution, a document written by those invested in America as a people and not America as a corporation. Ron Paul also believes in maintaining the individual liberties that are being eroded with each war fought and tax imposed.

I'm disappointed that I got caught up in the media's race by following the contest through sound bites and selected information, but it appealed to my innate desire for competition and to be on the winning team. Even the print media is at fault; even the entertainment media is at fault by distracting the public with celebrity non-news as the government propagates fear and terror and takes our liberties away one by one (Patriot Act, for example). The problem is so pervasive it's staggering and the system is so flawed that the people who run this country (and by the way, this is not the government as you might assume) place candidates in the spotlight for America to "choose." I began as a softie Kucinich supporter, not dedicated enough to fight for him early on because of the electability farce—again, that selfish attitude of having my voice "matter". Then after Kucinich was forced out of the race (yes, forced out), I was too narrow and scared to even consider a Republican candidate despite all the hype and momentum behind Paul, especially with young people. I underestimated young people. He's not perfect by any means (I strongly disagree with his pro-life policy, for example), but in a field of already or potential puppets, he's by far the best candidate if American people want to preserve their steadily decreasing freedoms.

Despite my X Files phase and all this conspiracy-speak, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I do know that the idea of being microchipped scares the shit out of me. I also know that evidence speaks. I know that though Bush's presidency will hit the books as a disaster, I don't think they failed at all in terms of their goals. The devaluation of the dollar and the propaganda of the "War on Terror" is driving the country into highly monitored (therefore, controlled) and less free state.

It's late in the game to be switching, I know—especially when I thought I was doing so well: researching, discussing, and caucusing in two states! Fortunately, in Iowa my Biden group didn't meet delegate threshold and I wasn't able to sweet talk enough people to add another delegate to the Edwards pile. Most recently, the Minnesota caucuses on Super Tuesday were such a zoo that 1) I wasn't 100% sure I was in the right precinct, and 2) it's likely that my hand-written vote on a piece of yellow scrap paper and handed to a nondescript man on my way out of our second voting location in a room with a rock-climbing wall didn't get counted anyway. So, I consider myself with a clean slate.

For those of you who have been playing the real political game already, why didn't you tell me sooner! For the rest, I'm not trying to force ideas on anyone (as that would be just a tad hypocritical), but information is out there and I encourage you to take the step. Here are some facts from Bill Moyers. Here's a good site for sifting through the bullshit. Go to Ron Paul's website and read the literature and keep the real issues on the table. I don't expect many people to jump to the Paul ship, but ask yourself which candidate is least likely to be bought. Ask yourself which candidate believes in the Constitution and individual liberties. Ask yourself if you really looked at the candidates—beyond CNN, beyond the Washington Post, beyond the talk at the lunch table.

I'll leave on this note (embrace the pun): Listen to Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward's rendition of "You Really Got a Hold On Me" for an idea of the American public's relationship to the Architects of their country.

SeeqPod - Playable Search


(If you're at the end of this post and silently resenting me and my soapbox, you can't say I didn't warn you!)

No comments: